Friday, January 8, 2010

Clean-Out-The-Fridge Soup

Okay. Last week I bought WAY too much produce for too many recipes that looked good. I didn't want to waste more money than I already have on the ground turkey I forgot to use. So, I took a cue from Tosca Reno and just made a soup out of everything I had in the fridge that worked. I present to you... Clean-Out-The-Fridge Soup:



Ingredients:

1 large green bell pepper
1 medium yellow onion
2 large stalks of celery
2 thick carrots (I should have done three... I LOVE carrots in soups!)
1 cup chopped green cabbage
3 cloves of garlic pressed through a garlic press
Sea Salt and Black Pepper
1 palmful oregano
1 palmful cumin
1 palmful paprika
2 pinches of rubbed sage
1 package of pre-cooked smoked turkey sausage
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
32 oz of Low Sodium Chicken Stock (I used two 14 oz cans and some leftovers from soup last week)
1 14 oz can low-sodium diced tomatoes
2 15 oz cans pinto beans
1 1/2 cups (or more...) of frozen corn


Sautee the first 6 items in stock pot with Olive Oil and spices for 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, brown the sausage. Add spices to this if desired.
Add stock, tomatoes, beans, and sausage to vegetables. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
Add corn and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy. I sure did. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! A tip I learned at an olive oil Company.... Try using regular virgin olive oil when cooking - it has a higher smoking temperature. Extra virgin gets hot too fast, and you might notice a flavor difference in cooking. I use EV just for cold - salads, etc., and V for cooking. I like to "cook" the spices like you did too, before adding liquids. Doesn't it seem to bring out the flavor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost always like using spices as soon as possible to infuse everything with flavor.

    I didn't know that about the olive oils... Interesting!

    ReplyDelete