Tuesday, June 26, 2012

It's SUMMER!

So... teaching 9th graders is incredibly awesome, but also incredibly time consuming. Many sincere apologies.

We are two weeks into summer vacation and I've been all over the place. Our first week off we spent at Myrtle Beach. It was very relaxing and I read two books (The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure, both by James Dashner; they are the second and third books in the Maze Runner series, which I highly recommend).


Our second week of vacation was spent at none other than... DISNEY WORLD! It was exhausting (we have got to learn to slow down when we go down there), but AMAZING. I didn't eat desserts for two and a half weeks before going down there in preparation for the gluttony that would commence.


We spent one final day at the beach on our way back up where I read another book (The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks- a really great beach read). We got home on Sunday afternoon and went to see Brave, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Soon we are off to the Midwest to see Mr. Discovery's grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, et cetera, and then my family is coming to us after that! A great summer still stretches out in front of me.

I do have a delicious recipe to share with anyone out there who actually looks at my blog. This was dinner tonight. It really doesn't get much simpler or more delicious than this.

Asian Vegetable Pasta
courtesy of Healthy Cooking Magazine


Ingredients
8-10 oz angel hair pasta
1 lb. fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
3/4 cup julienned carrots
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar (to make clean, use Sucanat... I didn't have on hand)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 chopped peanuts

Directions
1. Bring 4 qts of water to a boil, add pasta and asparagus; cook for 3 minutes
2. Add carrots; cook 1-2 minutes more; drain.
3. In a saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients (minus chopped peanuts) and bring to a summer, stirring constantly.
4. Toss the sauce with the pasta, divide among 4 plates, and sprinkle with chopped peanuts.

The Verdict: We both loved it and decided it'd be easy for Mr. Discovery to make. :-) The magazine says it serves five, but I think it really serves four. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment