Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I am ashamed...

I've been a bad blogger. Really when have I been a good blogger? ;-) I've been cooking a lot of fun meals lately, but I've been apathetic about photographing my meals. I do have a few recipes for you all, though.

Not a whole lot has been happening around the house lately. DH hasn't had as many weddings to photograph this fall, which has been nice because it means we can spend more lazy weekends around the apartment. One miracle is that I've been a little better about staying on top of the chores around the house, which is nice. Now our dishwasher's being annoying, so we'll have to get one of the maintenance people out here to fix it. I cook too much not to have a working dishwasher.

We recently had the fall kickoff for our Youth Ministry at church, which was awesome. I am so looking forward to the things that God will do this year in our Lower (and Upper) School Ministry! A few favourite photos...


One of my favourite friends ever!


Two beautiful girls in my lifegroup!


Gonna miss these girls! (They are going up to Upper School) :-(


Two more girls in my lifegroup doing motions for Mercy is Falling


Worship led by Aaron and Jordan (and others)

I haven't been able to get in much substitute teaching so far this year, so I spend most of my days watching country music videos, Desperate Housewives, and Grey's Anatomy, planning meals, and playing games on the internet. Oh what an exciting life I lead. I made a commitment to start running for real when September hit and I've been good so far about getting to the gym or on the road (it all depends on the weather). I've run just over 13 miles so far this month, which is not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but it's pretty darn good for me just starting out again. I plan on doing at least 3 miles tonight on the treadmill (it's a hot one today).

Anyway... Some eats...

Basil Chicken in a Coconut-Curry Sauce



Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 16 oz chicken breast
  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • 1/2 of a large red onion, cut into thin wedges (1 cup)
  • 2 fresh jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 13.5- or 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, low fat fine
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 3 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
  • 4 servings hot cooked rice

Directions
  1. In a medium bowl combine curry powder, black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and the chili powder. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Add to spice mixture in bowl; toss to coat. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours to allow spices to penetrate meat. 
  2. Spray oil into a wok or large nonstick skillet; heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, jalapeno peppers, and garlic to wok; cook and stir about 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove onion mixture from wok. Add half of the chicken to wok. Cook and stir for 4 to 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from wok. Repeat with remaining chicken. (I have a huge wok, so I cooked it all at once)
  3. Stir together coconut milk, cornstarch, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth. Carefully add to wok. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Return chicken and the onion mixture to wok. Stir in basil and ginger. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve over hot rice. Makes 4 servings.

Review: More like Curry Chicken in Coconut-Basil Sauce, but you can't taste the sweetness of the coconut... or the basil. Maybe my curry is too spicy. I still LOVED the recipe though. It was DELICIOUS. I can't wait to eat the leftovers in a couple of minutes.

Beef and Chipotle Burritos

no photo available

Ingredients
  • 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
  • 1 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion (1 small)
  • 1 to 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 6 9- to 10-inch tomato-flavored or plain flour tortillas, warmed
  • 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
  • 1 recipe Pico de Gallo Salsa
  • Shredded jicama or radishes (optional)
  • Dairy sour cream (optional)

Directions
  1. Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 6 pieces. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker place meat, undrained tomatoes, onion, chipotle peppers, oregano, cumin, and garlic.
  2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Remove meat from cooker. Using 2 forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Place meat in a large bowl. Stir in enough cooking liquid to reach desired consistency. Divide meat among warm tortillas, spooning it just below the centers. Top with cheese, Pico de Gallo Salsa, and, if desired, jicama and sour cream. Roll up tortillas. Makes 6 servings.
Pico de Gallo Salsa: In a medium bowl combine 2 finely chopped medium tomatoes; 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion; 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro; 1 fresh serrano chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped (see tip); and dash sugar. Cover; chill several hours.

Review: This was my second attempt at a slow-cooker meal after a miserable fail about a year ago. I LOVE this recipe. This will have to be a regular recipe. It was SO good. Very spicy, but not too spicy. We didn't use the jicama or the sour cream. It was sooooooooo good though. Yum.

2 comments:

  1. Jessica! You never have to apologize for being a bad blogger... We love your posts no matter how frequent or infrequent they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes its really hard to be a "good blogger". Blogging takes a lot of time and effort, and I think there's a lot of people that fail to realize that.

    Sometimes you just have to choose: do I do this or do I blog? For me, sometimes blogging wins, sometimes it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete